Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Year of Living Biblically

My cynical side was convinced that Fresh Air's interview of an Esquire editor who set out to live out every "law" in the bible would be a mocking yuck fest.

Was I ever wrong.

Terry Gross did a credible job of asking fairly objective, if ill informed, questions about the bible. I don't fault her in this. For someone so secular she at least has some familiarity if little understanding of the bible. She is otherwise a really good interviewer.

The really impressive thing to me was the interviewee, A.J. Jacobs. This guy convinced me that he had a genuine interest in better understanding "religion" and, while not getting the full story during one interview, it seems like he was transformed to a degree by "going through the motions" of trying to live out the Torah.

I am going to get the book to find out what blessings Mr. Jacobs experienced as he walked in derek Ha Torah or the way of the Torah. In just the few ways I have walked in its paths, I and my family have experienced blessings that I know are fulfillment of God's promises to those who try to listen to him.

If more people tried to do what Mr. Jacobs did I suspect they too would begin to understand that The Almighty didn't just speak the Torah to hear himself talk. Not did he do it so we could all walk around with a Torah yardstick measuring each others browny point quotient. Rather he spoke clearly many times in the bible saying that if we would listen and obey He would shower blessings on us and our progeny.

Stay tuned tomorrow for the throwing down of a gauntlet. I am willing to bet that this formerly secular Jew would "get" Acts 15:20 & 21 out of the new testament. This is significant to me because I have never met a Christian that does. When asked about verse 21 every Christian I have ever asked has been struck dumb.

I think Mr. Jacobs will get it because he just spent a year trying to live it. And I am going to bother the snot out of him until he renders and opinion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok bob, now i have to look up the ref in Acts. my bible is upstairs and i am making breakfast for maria and family so i will do it after breakfast. at least now i know how to get to your blog. do you put something in every day? that sounds like a lot of work for a night nurse.

bill in cambridge