Saturday, October 13, 2007

Messianic Judaism by Carol Harris-Shapiro

So I have been meaning to buy this book for a couple years and finally got around to it. I have just started reading it and it seems like a remarkably even handed book on a subject Jewish people tend to get a little crazy about.

The first glaring generalization I see is on page 15 when the author says that "Messianic believers consider it their special calling to convert Jews." I will concede that many do but, back when I was a Messianic Jew (or as Rabbi Harris-Shapiro would have called me a Messianic Gentile), I early on decided that conversion was the Almighty's business. I wanted to encourage Jews to embrace what God called them to be - a light to the Nations (Goyim).

At that time, back in the beginning of the decade, I found First Fruits of Zion to take a similar view. Their main focus was converting Christians. Rabbi Harris Shapiro apparently was not aware of FFOZ because I do not see them sited in the index. I must add that FFOZ appears to have changed their perspective considerably during the past few years and they may have recently adopted a more "missionary position", if you know what I mean.

While this general tendency on the part of Messianics to try and convert Jews is what seems to enrage Jews most, Rabbi Harris Shapiro notes an interesting sentiment as she spent several years among congregants in a Messianic congregation:

When their altar calls went by with nary a response, I was pleased. When a new person of Jewish birth "came to the Lord", I grieved. Clearly there were times when I would have liked to change their minds and "bring them back to the fold," much as they were trying to do with me. (12)
I respect her honesty and hope that Jewish people can see this and realize that this desire to convert is universal even if misguided. I also hope they can relax their bunker mentality and know that the Almighty will bring them to the place he wants them with or without missionary efforts by Christians.

I note the recent conversion of a Hollywood star from Catholicism to Judaism with joy. Not because of my dim view of Catholicism or because of my unnatural affinity for Judaism, but because this person is seeking intimacy with the King of The Universe and apparently isn't concerned about the politics of her religious choices as much as the desire for relationship with the divine.

I think what flavor you are is less important than that you have flavor. People joining religions in order to have a safe pigeon hole to hide in don't seem to be doing God or anyone else any favors.

As I savor this book (she appears to have ferreted out some great sources regarding the first couple of centuries of strong Jewish flavor to "The Church" - one of my favorite subjects) I will probably use this forum to review and reflect on this work.

Rabbi, if your are out there, you have a free pass to come out to the Rockies and have a vacation as long as you are willing to eat drink and discuss the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

No comments: